APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?
on Apr 6, 2017 at 2:25:04 pm

[andy patterson] "With HP I don't think it is brand loyalty as much as they are trying to market their products for professionals and offer good products. If HP did away with PCIe slots and ATX style work stations and only offered a 2013 Mac Pro clone I think you would agree many folks would jump ship to Dell. There is a difference between brand loyalty and a company having a good product for your workflow. If HP hypothetical did as I suggested am sure you would agree HP would get backlash beyond belief. Apple did get some backlash with the 2013 Mac Pro but many Apple users thought since it is Apple it has got to be good."

Putting on my mad strategist hat, I'd define brand loyalty as a preference for buying from a particular brand, irrespective of specific actions of the competition or the category in general. Brand loyalty means I buy Coke, no matter what Pepsi does. It doesn't necessarily mean I buy New Coke.

That's not the same as buying from a particular brand, no matter what that brand itself does. We're off into semantics now, but I'd call what you're describing -- buying consistently from a particular brand, no matter what they do -- "brand fanaticism."

Pulling this somewhat back on-topic (ha!), HP's Z-series workstation brand promises something along the lines of "industrial-strength." It would have been a major betrayal of their brand values to drop the Z-series and clone the trashcan.

Apple's brand promises very different things than HP's: innovation and aesthetics. The 2013 nMP was perfectly consistent those promises. Apple buyers may not be acting against their interest as you describe; they may well be continuing to pursue the same values that attracted them to Apple in the first place.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]