APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?
on Apr 4, 2017 at 8:46:04 pm

[Michael Gissing] "No its a nuisance because unlike DNx codecs it is proprietary and can't be easily used on all platforms and NLE software. And not everyone wants it as a deliverable. I have noticed recently that broadcasters are asking first for AVC Intra codecs wrapped as .mxf. ProRes is down the list so I guess they are shifting away from Mac hardware and software too which is pertinent to this thread.

So I agree that it became a defacto standard but I am seeing a trend away from ProRes and QT wrapping."

Seems to me the era of whoever's doing the content delivery having to set the delivery codec is kinda ending.

The rise of the pubic facing CDNs like Vimeo and YouTube already take a variety of input types - then do their own transcoding and create "tiered deliverables" to satisfy the devices that will attach to the streams.

THAT's where this is going, I think.

Even for a high end movie deliverable, if what Michael Cioni referred to as your "digital O-neg" is parsable, and stores adequate resolution and color descriptives, then from that point on, the files - including the metadata described "master" should be able to be transcoded as needed for any target deliverable.

Much easier than making a million producers figure out just WHICH deliverable standard works best for all the downstream folks.

This seems like something that just won't be a very big deal as time goes on.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]