APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?
on Apr 4, 2017 at 2:53:22 pm

[andy patterson] "People are becoming hip to what the Surface Pro has to offer. Especially the Surface Studio"

The Surface Pro and Studio have completely different objectives. Just because they have touch in common doesn't mean they are simple variations of the same product.

[andy patterson] "I think you are kind of stuck on video editors."

Not at all. I actually see very few folks with iPads or Surfaces. The ones with Surfaces (which also includes my daughter) are largely using them as a lighter laptop. Professionally these include ad agency creatives. Sure, drawing may be part of it, but not for much other than doodling on glass instead of paper.

[andy patterson] "You had stated at times you had to chose between your iPad and Macbook. You left that part out of the quote. With the Surface Pro you have one device that can work as a laptop or a tablet. No need to but two products. "

That's because it's irrelevant. I want two different products because they service different purposes. The iPad is light to travel with (lighter and less cumbersome than the Surface) and does what I need. If I need to edit, then I bring the laptop. The alternative option for me might have been the small MacBook, but then that would be more challenged for editing.

[andy patterson] " You can edit 4K using the Surface Pro. You will not see it playback at full resolution. That is why having a beefy system is still needed by a select few"

I can edit 4K on my MacBook Pro AND see it at full resolution. Plus I can connect USB3 and Tbolt external drives.

[andy patterson] "You can use it as a tablet if you use the Metro GUI or you can use it a laptop if you have a keyboard connected. The iPad cannot function in two different modes and does not support a desktop OS. You do realize the Surface Pro uses Windows 10 64 bit don't you? "

I personally hate the Metro GUI and yes, I know it can run W10. In general, I'm not enamored with a touch GUI to start with, but it's functional on the iPad. Sony's Catalyst products and changes made to Premiere Pro to address touch interfaces in order to provide cross-platform support, have made parts of those interfaces worse when using these apps on standard high-resolution desktop and laptop screens. The UI design is needlessly "horsey" as a result. This is part of the justification for a macOS/iOS separation and I think Apple has been quite successful with it.

[andy patterson] "If you don't want to believe me you don't have to. I am just telling you like it is. Having said that please explain to me why an Apple iPad Pro would be a better option than a MS Surface Pro?"

It's not a question of belief. Show me the numbers. As I've said all along, these two products are aimed at different objectives, which is something you aren't willing to accept. Whether or not you or I might want Apple to produce a different product is not important. Apple is going to produce the best product for the market that it is trying to address - or in some cases - create. They'll make the necessary changes based on feedback and sales criteria. So far I'm not seeing that here.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]