APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?
on Apr 3, 2017 at 6:02:43 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "While now dated, have you ever heard the phrase, "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM?" Do you remember the Zune Tattoo Guy? There are certainly a lot of Windows/PC loyalists that wouldn't be caught dead with anything made by Apple. "

Having done Microsoft videos, as well as others for various software vendors, I can certainly attest to the fact that each has just as loyal of a set of core users as does Apple. That doesn't make any of them wrong. Same reason so many film editors are content to stay with Avid.

But, a prime example is my son. He's a musician and up until a few years ago a committed Windows/PC user who was more that happy to trash-talk Macs. As a guitarist, he's more than familiar with musicians' gear loyalty - Fender vs. Gibson, and so on. Yet, a couple of years ago, he decided to shift to a 2013 Mac Pro, Apogee, and Logic Pro X and hasn't looked back since. He's now more than willing to admit he's had to eat most of his words.

[andy patterson] "Some Apple users have built hackintoshes and others have ditched the iPad for the Surface Pro. Apple does rely on brand loyalty. There are people that will stick with Apple no matter what."

Andy, as far as the iPad/Surface comparison, you must be seeing a small sliver of the market. Surface is a cool product and so is the larger desktop model. Yet, the only creatives I know who are using them are those that were given them by their company to use. Most Surface users I see are using it as a smaller laptop. Apple rightly or wrongly has decided to target the iPad as first and foremost a consumption device and not a reduction of the laptop, yet with enough power and features to support other needs. When I travel, unless I need my MBP for editing on-site, I only travel with the iPad and sometimes an external keyboard. It fits my needs just fine. Whether or not Apple will evolve the pro into a different type of product is something we'll see in the future.

In my original reply, I commented on SGI and Cray, not because these were high-end machines, but because they were high-end machines that the market could no longer support. In the end, Apple is there to make money. Investing in the R&D for a super-duper machine that attracts .01 % of the market simply isn't good business and doesn't serve the larger set of users.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]