APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?
on Apr 2, 2017 at 1:14:20 pm

[Tony West] "I don't remember seeing them complaining about the quality of their footage."

I never said they did. People make a decision about cameras and formats for reasons that generally have little to do with post. In this case it benefitted the films, because ARRI designed a camera with a built-in workflow that was optimized on purpose for Apple and FCP ("legacy" originally).

I routinely work with footage from both cameras and there are pros and cons either way. From the standpoint of post, ARRI definitely makes it easier to get in and out with minimal fuss in between, assuming you shoot ProRes and not ARRIRAW.

At home I cut a series of corporate videos shot with Alexa in 2K size. I cut this fine in X on my 2009 8-core MP with media from a simple G-RAID connected via an eSATA card. The only issues I had were performance on unrendered greenscreen composites. At CES I cut 4K/UHD Alexa Mini footage on my 2015 MBP in X with media coming off of a Thunderbolt drive.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]