APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Is this why the new Mac Pro has been taking so long?
on Mar 30, 2017 at 8:08:02 pm

Are the new AMD GPUs what's kept the nMP locked in stone for nearly 4yrs? I don't think so. Whatever Apple is waiting on (assuming they are waiting on anything) is a mystery to all but a select few in NorCal. Since 2010 the only Mac Pro releases have been in 2012 (a slightly faster 2010 cMP) and in 2013 (the nMP). This is obviously not the market segment Apple is spending much time with, and to Bill's point, why should they? For a lot (I dare say most) of the people that need to edit on a somewhat regular basis a 'normal' desktop or laptop is adequate.

In 2002 I remember our Smoke operator using an SGI Octane because an off-the-shelf computer just wasn't good enough. Now Smoke runs on a laptop. Apple has never been a 'big iron' computer maker and these days off-the-shelf workstation computers are basically 'big iron'. Mobile devices are the new laptops, laptops are the new desktops and desktops are the new workstations. That market segment certainly still exists but it is getting smaller, not larger.

15-20yrs ago many of us here were the beneficiaries of the DV Revolution and/or the desktop NLE revolution? Working out our homes (or small offices) w/o the need for $100k Avids and $70k Betacams? That downward pressure trend never stopped, we've just aged out of Apple's target demo.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]