APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FAO Bill - or anyone looking at the new MacBook Pro....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bret Williams
Re: FAO Bill - or anyone looking at the new MacBook Pro....
on Feb 14, 2017 at 3:16:05 pm

On a day to day performance, I can tell you my iMac from 2012 is a much more solid machine. I'm using the MacBook Pro 2016 (top of the line). Just a couple layers of unrendered effects send the fans roaring. And FCPX has no noticeable difference in performance. Even when Im running all the media off the insanely fast internal.

And when Ive got it hooked up to LG thunderbolt monitor, Pegasus raid, and AJA, you can count on 4-5 crashes a day of the entire system. Probably due to the adapters and such not reconnecting when it goes to sleep.

The keyboard is pretty cheap too but Im sorta getting used to it. The ports on the right don't really click in like the ports on the left either. You really have to mash the cable in all the way on the right. Overall the build of the 2016 feels cheap to me. The track pad is this cheesy little hollow click. Not like previous laptops with a good solid click.

Oh, and the battery life flat out sucks. It forces you to use the 4gig GPU with and sort of media related app like affinity or FCP which will suck a battery dry in 2 hours. Otherwise you can count on 3-5 hours for the battery. And that's with the screen brightness way down. The touch bar us constantly having errors, freezing, etc. But the only app that has used it for anything worthwhile is Photos, and Affinity Photo.

So I haven't done any major rendering tests, but day to day, using it as my main machine is a lesser experience than using my solid 2012 imac with 32 Gigs. I've only switched to the MacBook because I need the portability.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]