APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 10.3.2 Is out - WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ronny Courtens
Re: 10.3.2 Is out - WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.
on Jan 22, 2017 at 7:57:01 pm

Allow me to put some things in the right perspective.

I can understand Mads' enthusiastic reaction to this update. It solves an issue for them that has been around since day 1 and that typically affected very complex timelines with tons of stacked connected clips. Obviously, the longer the timeline the more the problem was apparent. We have reported this issue, even sending complete projects with media over to Apple. I can only guess why it has taken until now to see a solution. Probably because the root of the issue required some changes in the fundamentals of FCP X which were completed with 10.3, but also because the problem was only really apparent with very specific types of productions and not with long-form projects in general.

Metronome has gone from 3 FCP X seats in 2012 to 50+ seats now (at the expense of Avid), and the "drag-lag" issue as we started calling it has not stopped them from delivering over 300 hours of content each year. This means they have always been ABLE to do their work, but not in the best circumstances.

A few months ago another major production company started complaining about the issue. They sent us their projects and we noticed their timelines (long-form docs with loads of stacked titles, graphics and connected multichannel audio) were very similar to the ones we saw from Metronome. So I started calling everyone in Europe who works on long-form with FCP X to ask if they had similar issues. Only a few of the 50 companies I called confirmed that they did experience the drag-lag issue in the same way as the guys from Metronome. I guess that's why Mads says that "many would argue that the problem does not exist". So I asked everyone who had problems to send their projects to Apple, and apparently this has resulted in getting the issue on the priority list. I got confirmation from all of them now that the new update has indeed solved the problem for them. All is well that ends well, up to the next update.

- Ronny

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]