APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 10.3.2 Is out - WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: 10.3.2 Is out - WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.
on Jan 21, 2017 at 8:13:06 am

[Bill Davis] "So Premiere has been in the "movie business" since the Bandito Bros gig in 2005.

FCP X for just 5 years.

Begging the question why with a decade head start - Apple did it so much faster with X?

(Chuckling while shuffling off with my head down to avoid the lobbed rocks!)"

Not quite sure I follow Bill. If we were to start the clock with Dust to Glory then that's two years after PPro launched and Focus came out fours years after X launched. If we include FCP Legend in this talk then why is X, now 5.5yrs into its life cycle, so far behind in this metric compared to Legend at a similar point in its life?

If we start the clock on PPro with Gone Girl and you ask why did it take PPro so long, I think I brought up part of that already in my previous post. Was it because PPro wasn't technically capable of handling a project like a Hollywood feature film? Was it because people just thought it was crap because they heard it was crap? Was it both?

I used one of the last versions of Premiere (not Pro) and compared to FCP it was crap. If you owned a Mac there was really no reason to choose Premiere over FCP (and the creative community is very Mac centric, as you know). This is why when Adobe launched PPro in '03 it was Windows only. There wasn't a big enough Mac market to make the endeavor worthwhile. It wasn't until 2007 that the Mac version came back (and it was for Intel Macs only). I'm sure not having to make a separate PPC version just for Apple drastically lowered the cost to make it cross platform. Even then though, FCP Legend was just getting stronger and stronger and Avid was still Avid, so again, no reason at all to look at PPro.

One of the best things to happen to Premiere Pro was for Apple to yank FCP 7 from store shelves. That forced FCP users to look at other NLEs (many for the first time in a long time, if ever) and low and behold Premiere wasn't really the hulking pile of crap FCP users thought it was.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]