APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 10.3.2 Is out - WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: 10.3.2 Is out - WOW review from a huge X facility in Europe.
on Jan 20, 2017 at 4:39:47 pm

[Joe Marler] "This was apparently a new problem. Previous versions have been tested with a timeline up to 588 *days* long, and with up to 1,000 layers:"

None of those are realistic tests. The real test is to take a long timeline, like a 90+ min. feature film. Drag a primary clip (with numerous connected clips) from the back to the front and see how laggy it is. Especially is you have an adjustment layer across the entire timeline. That's the real issue and largely a mess in X. Much faster to copy, delete, paste insert and adjust.

Now in fairness, it's tough for other NLEs, too, because of look-forward and look-behind playback functions. It's what Avid calls "building the pipes". To get around these issues, they have long offered the ability to alter the playlength. That's a command that controls how long a sequence has to play before it stops. It a similar issue with X and other NLEs. However, Premiere is about the smoothest in this regard.

That being said, I've cut a feature film back in the 10.09 days and it was fine. However, like most features and other feature editors, I cut in reels and then combined them for the final film sequence. And I used proxies the whole way, as this was a RED-originated film. Worked fine on a 2010 tower.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]