APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final cut X A Diamond in the rough

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: Final cut X A Diamond in the rough
on Jan 9, 2017 at 2:46:11 pm

It is no easy task to reduce the 100 year history of motion picture editing to a blog post, and you got the basics correct even when your facts are questionable ( "It was the first film that introduced the art of editing to the world." The Great Train Robbery is the first notable American film to introduce the idea of cross cutting, I don't know that "the art of editing" started there.), however I think your missing how large the transition was between film editing and video linear editing (the two overlapped from aprox. 1975 to 1995.) It is also not quite right to describe film editing as linear - it is linear meaning slow, in that you cannot jump from one point to another instantaneously, but it is non-linear in that you can edit any where in the film without having to reconstruct everything that comes after. If you never had to deal with a linear on-line edit process than you don't realize quite how backward that process was from film editing and how far forward we have come.

Also, historically, Avid was the 2nd NLE; the EMC2 was the first modern digital NLE and came out a few months before. And as for this line - " I still rate the Avid as the best NLE for its stability, accuracy and purity" I have no idea what purity means in that sentence.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]