APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final cut X A Diamond in the rough

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott Witthaus
Re: Final cut X A Diamond in the rough
on Jan 9, 2017 at 12:32:19 pm

[Shane Ross] "EVERY ASPECT OF PRODUCTION AND POST IS NICHE!
"

OK, let's go up a bit more. You can very roughly divide visual storytelling workflows between broadcast (or screened) and non-broadcast, correct? Of course, those line are blurring too. And one might assume that the non-broadcast market is far larger than the broadcast market (in terms of number of editors and systems)? If true, broadcast is a niche in the global visual storytelling market. Agreed? So, from a business standpoint, it made sense for Apple to try and capture the non-broadcast market (first) with FCPX. With recent releases, however, Apple seems to want to move into that broadcast niche.

More to the point, I don't think Apple gave a shit about old editors like me doing commercial (broadcast) work 5 years ago at the X release (and seemingly confirmed that with the bungled release and EOL of Legacy). Capture the new editors with a totally new workflow ("damn, FCPX looks like the free iMovie I have on my computer") and grow with that group. Sooner or later, they will be in all niches of visual storytelling. Not being a company that needs to sell NLE software to survive, Apple had the option to make such a radical change (the good and bad of that are still debated). Long term strategy while iPhones fund the company. Avid can't do that, and Adobe would have a very difficult time trying this. Of course commitment by Apple is another issue...

[Shane Ross] "Yet interestingly, people who don't cut film/TV always ask "what NLE is used to cut film and TV...I want to use that!" I"

Avid has used this "aspirational" marketing strategy for years and one only needs to look at stock price to see how well that has done for them. It's not a smart strategy and certainly not a smart way to choose an NLE.

[Shane Ross] "Instead, they should ask, "hey, what's the best NLE for cutting what I'm cutting?""

Exactly. What product solves the problem you have. For me, the solution is not the fact that some movie or doc was cut on a Media Composer. But pose the product as a solution ("I need to have multiple editors cutting in various locations and need to be able to output multiple formats for different screens and regions, etc. . What system solves this problem...") and then you can more easily sell it.

Just my humble opine.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]