APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why do Events still exist?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tony West
Re: Why do Events still exist?
on Dec 5, 2016 at 7:47:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I'm just surprised to hear some people who have argued so passionately and articulately for the strength and flexibility of databasey, search-don't-sort keywords/smart collections in the past now also arguing for static, sort-don't-search events."

Bill is correct. It's not an either or, it's both sometimes.

I used the sports example because I thought that would be simple for people to get and you kind of get it, so lets go deeper.

Documentary example

This is just one person in the doc and as you can see there are 13 tags just for this one person alone. There are "40" people and most have much of the same stuff she does. That's not counting music, RX Work, Motion work, B-roll from other locations, Historical Footage, Historical Pics, AEC docs, EPA docs. DOE docs and more. I didn't want a keyword collection that just said Historical pics, there are almost 1000 of them. They need to be tagged within the event.

If I put all of this stuff together in one event I would be scrolling through some 700 tags. That's inefficient.

Everyone had their own family pics, work pics, government documents and so on.

I wanted to be able to go to the person and all their stuff in one click. The only way you could best me Walter would be if you could do it zero clicks. I don't think you can do that, so at best, you could only tie me : )

Library "The Safe Side of the Fence"

Event Denise

Key Sit down
Key B-roll office
Key B-roll documents
Key B-roll meeting
Key B-roll research
Key Claim forms
Key DOCA
Key EEOICPA forms
Key letters
Key Media interviews