APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why do Events still exist?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Why do Events still exist?
on Dec 2, 2016 at 3:00:22 pm

[Oliver Peters] "the original design was flawed and they've been trying to work around that ever since"

First, I think you're correct about why do events still exist. This has been discussed before in various forums. I am personally working on a project with 5 terabytes, 7,000 clips an 160 hr of material in a single event of one library. I do everything with tagging and rating -- it works mostly OK. There can be some I/O issues because FCPX does lots of random 4k and 8k I/Os when building and maintaining thumbnails in the Event Browser. I have read speculation that distributing content over multiple events somehow helps but I've never seen proof of this or tested it. This is on a 2015 top-spec iMac 27 with an 8TB SSD array in RAID-0.

With the advent of library-wide smart collections, library-wide searching, and finder tags to classify imported content, you mostly don't need events from an organizational standpoint. However this doesn't mean the original design was flawed, as if an architectural error. There are several possible explanations for events (all speculative):

- The internal database mechanisms to support library-wide searches and smart collections could not deliver adequate performance on then-existing hardware
- Finder tags did not exist which now makes it easier to duplicate the functionality of importing into a "bin".
- It was difficult enough for editors to conceptually transition to FCPX. It would have been too much to demand they accept there's no bin-like feature whatsoever and totally commit to metadata-only organization right off the bat.

Re why do they still exist, obviously people are using events for better or worse, so it would be a big disruption to remove them. Aside from media organization, there may in fact be reasons for retaining them, such as performance (unproven) or certain workflow or utility tasks. I have not studied this closely and other people could probably better list these.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]