APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.
on Dec 1, 2016 at 11:35:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "But this goes the other way too. If I get back something that I didn't give you, I then have to muck around for a day getting it all back together."

Which is why I always try to get the project in and out via the best means which is the xml/AAF. I get annoyed when speed, framing, flops etc etc do not translate. X is annoying in that any third party plugin that is used in the timeline causes the fcpxml to import into Resolve as a compound clip which as you know is a pain to decompose if it has speed change information. Hopefully Resolve will work out a way to do an optional smart decompose on import.

Increasingly however I am finishing in Resolve so I am not outputting back to an NLE. So the issue of disappearing keyframes or speed/sizing info is not an issue. By far the most annoying thing in all this is text because I am doing docos. Increasingly the best procedure now seems to be creating all text as tiff or png with alpha rather than translating text generators which never works. I had a doco with hundreds of subtitles recently using a proprietary plugin in Avid. I spent far too much time trying to find software to translate the subtitles into anything - Premiere, Resolve, FCP7 but nothing worked. In the end the editor who was thousands of miles away emailed an EDL of the subtitle track and a text document with all the subtitles in order which was trivial to do with Avid as all that was built in. You see sometime the editor doesn't own the gear and can't go and buy third party plugins to solve problems like this. I was able to run the EDL and copy paste the text in in a few hours after wasting more than a day searching for alternatives to the uber simple EDL to give me the 'placeholder' events.

So in short EDL is the ultimate fall back that almost always works but is the last resort. That's it in a nutshell.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]