APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.
on Dec 1, 2016 at 11:21:21 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "By the time projects get to you, the colorist or sound designer, it has been months and months of toil, changes, experiments, and collaboration. An EDL completely blows all of that up."

Which is why it is just an additional tool that is sometimes the simplest way to find missing media. I never use an EDL to import a project unless nothing else works which is extremely rare. But it is an easy and simple list. Why do I sometimes want it? Because I still have a great tool called Shotlister that takes an EDL and displays it graphically. It ends up looking like an old dubbing chart. There are heaps of ways I can display timecode and reel information like relative and absolute offset which helps enormously when reversioning doco cut downs. Yes there are other tools but Shotlister has some amazing ways to globally adjust a timecode offset specific to a reel, handy when reconforming polywav audio where there is an offset between the code the editor has been working with on the camera sound and the iso recorded wavs which is extremely common.

I am not saying that EDLs should be used as the principal form of interchange but that interchange mix is sometimes necessary. And I know full well that using third party software that X can provide all those options. So I'll say it again. My opinion which I am perfectly happy for you to just accept and not try to lecture me on is that interchange formats are core to NLE software.

The fact that it isn't with X causes issues with some editors refusing to buy the third party software. Simple valid reason to argue my point. I really only care about getting the maximum time to do creative work and the minimum time coaching recalcitrant editors who think they know better.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]