APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:16:59 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I find the majority of editors are absolutely professional and work hard to get handovers right. I am turning over mostly sub $400,000 broadcast docos where a day of mucking around a handover is a catastrophe."

But this goes the other way too. If I get back something that I didn't give you, I then have to muck around for a day getting it all back together.

The problem I have with EDLs is that they don't describe everything that is going in the timeline. By the time projects get to you, the colorist or sound designer, it has been months and months of toil, changes, experiments, and collaboration. An EDL completely blows all of that up. When things were on physical reels, and you need to grab them from a specific place, sure, but now with everything that we have at our disposal, including a lot of things that can be done in the NLE and not in a specialized environment in terms of effects and composites, an EDL does not represent my final thoughts, decisions, and months of work.

An FCPXML gets really really close.

I too, like Darren's folks, use Resolve to conform. I can make almost any piece of interchange from it, if that's what is required. Most of the projects I work on get graded in Baselight, so it's possible to go from FCPX to whatever you want if you have the right tools. Resolve uses fcpxml, and despite some frame size hiccups, the speed changes, even multiple speed changes within a clip, round trip seamlessly. There must be something within fcpxml that allows this as xml isn't as good, and EDL is a joke. So why do I have to stick with EDL that won't help me, or the finisher, see my intentions in the timeline?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]