APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.
on Dec 1, 2016 at 10:47:22 am

[Darren Roark] "The spanner that gets thrown in the works are the many places jumping the Blackmagic pirate ship to other color systems because they can charge more for them. What is becoming a standard here is these places keep a Resolve system for conforming regardless of what NLE the show was cut in, then they send a FCP 7 XML from there to Baselight, Pablo or Lustre so all the FCP X timeline advantages in Resolve with mixed framerates becomes a moot point."

Surely BMD pushing Resolve down-market factors in, but even if that's the prime motivation for people to look at other color systems, I think that's a good thing. Each system has its own approach and design philosophy, its own strengths and weaknesses -- and a diverse, vibrant color ecosystem beats a Resolve monoculture in my book.

When you want to cut with FCPX instead of the "standard" Premiere Pro or Media Composer, you have good reasons other than "it costs less," right? What if the colorist wants to grade with Baselight or Nucoda or Mistika instead of the "standard" Resolve? I can see why a colorist would want to prioritize the grading toolset over the conform toolset. Sometimes letting the creative talent work with their favorite tool is the best call.

To bring this vaguely back to topic, interchange exists to make this possible. Apple's FCPXML interchange is a mixed bag, simultaneously brilliant and egotistical. On the one hand, it's modern, extensible and admirably complete; on the other, it's new(ish) and requires the rest of the world to adapt to it rather fitting in with all the pre-existing infrastructure.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]