APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Darren Roark
Re: FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:24:54 am

[Michael Gissing] "So stop wasting my time by telling me what limited tools that suit you are always enough. I get that you and Robin don't get it. I'm used to working with editors that at least accept that I might just know what I need."

I'm more of a post sup at this point, more assisting/finishing work than feature editing. For my clients I try and remove as many time/labor consuming redundant tasks as possible.

I do turn over an end product that is agreed upon, sometimes it has to be negotiated as you are right, no two places are 100% alike. Talent should always take priority over the tools.

I am able to offer to the colorists who are finishing in Resolve is a fully conformed drp project file in lieu of having to perform a cumbersome and time consuming EDL conform.

If they are using Resolve and it works as promised, there should be no issue in accepting that as providing the end result should be welcomed.

I also turn over an EDL via the 3rd party app (and Resolve) as many distribution companies require it in the deliverables.

On a $2mil and under budgeted film the two things always in short supply are time and money. Since they can rarely raise more money I've been able to buy extra creative edit time for the director because of saving time in finishing without causing an end rush.

Most places require several days to a week for conform and ingest time. I provide a fast RAID drive that they can media manage to their shared storage system with all the media linked and online in Resolve or if they choose they can work directly from the drive.

As far as DAW turnovers go, a recent feature I sent an AAF to a sound designer who works on Walking Dead, he said it was one of the best turnovers he has ever received and he has been in the business since the early 80s.

Each character's lav had a bed of tracks, everything was laid out in advance and there was no conform of the ISOs to do. All I said was I wish I could have taken the credit for that but it's just how it comes out when the show is prepped properly and the location audio person is on the ball.

[Michael Gissing] "If you think post facilities are wrong then you just aren't doing your job."

I don't think post facilities are always wrong, having worked at enough of them the reality is the client makes a promise and then hands off a nightmare so they need to CTA. What I take issue with is them charging for conform services I do not want to hire them for.

So to clarify, I do provide all the requested turnovers.

I just don't want my clients to spend the extra time and money when it isn't necessary to use archaic formats.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]