APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tangier Clarke
FCP X features or lack thereof. Your opinion on the rationale.
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:27:05 pm
Last Edited By Tangier Clarke on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:30:05 pm

Re: FCP X 10.3

Folks, I am a proponent of FCP X for a lot of reason I don't care to rehash here and now. I've been committed since it's buggy release. The updates (large and small) have been great, but I have to wonder why some things are missing and just was curious what you all think; knowing this isn't based on fact necessarily.

Media management is stellar in FCP X. The speed and stability is great (in my experience). The way the application gets out of my way and lets me focus more on the creative process is fantastic too. I realize that FCP X has and perhaps is rethinking methods long used in editorial as evidenced the app itself, but I can't help but wonder is the strategy to leave so many [what I would call] fundamental features to third party tools.

As amazing as FCP X, I keep looking over at Premiere thinking why don't we have that yet. However, there's not enough I like about Premier Pro to switch. Is it merely Apple's intent is to provide the brain (FCP X) and let the third party developers provide the choice to the masses? Maybe Apple is trying to keep FCP X trim and slim because of their relentless pursuit of making their apps (and hardware) energy efficient; a topic seldom discussed with regard to what we do and the Apple hardware we all work on. Maybe these concerns Apple's R&D has found not to really be much of a concern for most people.

Here's what I am concerned about:

Built-in batch syncing: Can't do this [still ]like Premiere Pro or DaVinci. PluralEyes, WooWave, DaVinci, and Premiere Pro (via XML) is not a viable option me which I've detailed on the Cow and FCP.co

Better color panel: Lumetri and Color Finale are great. Is it too much to ask for that level of control built in.

Batch Export: Need I explain why this is great

Social media panel: Premiere Pro's version of dealing with social media is an innovation I would expect of Apple and is great.

Better media management: I still prefer FCP 7's media management ins many ways. I am really bothered that there's no dedicated method to deal with duplicate, triplicate clips, etc. when moving between almost identical libraries and events on different volumes. I'd like to also be able to rename clips on import that sticks at the Finder level as well.

Maybe I am missing Apple's philosophy about FCP X. Perhaps if I had that understanding I'd be more forgiving. Though as much as I like choice, at this juncture I am growing tired of having to look to third party tools for seemingly fundamental processes of [this] digital age; maybe excluding the social media panel to the extent Adobe has implemented theirs.

I didn't think at least some of those would be too much to ask for at this point, but until then the toolset is:

FCP X
Edit Ready/KYNO (testing) for pre-import and discrete project-based, Finder-level file naming.
FCP X Library Manger
NeoFinder for cataloging drives
FCP X syncing (manually setting groups of clips - a laborious process). Looking to test Tentacle sync.
KeyFlow Pro
Visual plugins of course

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]