APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: What would Walter Murch think of FCPX 10.3?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Warmels
Re: What would Walter Murch think of FCPX 10.3?
on Oct 31, 2016 at 9:57:12 am

Well, this a guy who's been in the business for a long time. He was also the guy who brought FCP into main stream movie editing, mind you. He was big in making FCP a serious NLE contender. Because he saw (at the time of FCP 3, mind you!!) the potential.

But honestly, for movie editing, I am not so sure FCPX is that great. I know it's being used for it, but the amount of audio sources you'd need to access and synch on a real movie is quite a bit of work. You need overview (Murch showed it once, what he had to deal with on average) and FCPX always looks like a jumble of audio sources, where you had rather limited control in creating some kind of visual overview without putting everything into groups or compound (which you then needed to access separately of you wanted to change anything).

I read that little booklet of the editors doing FOCUS. But man, I got tired from just reading that. You sure need a lot of assistant editors to keep track of the workflows going back and forth, through XML's, X2Pro relinking and what have ya.

And his choices don't dictate anything, he's just an experienced editor who does know what he's talking about. If you disagree fine. If you prefer to edit in Movie Maker or iMovie, just do it. But I still care about the opinion of other editors. Also of avid FCPX editors, because the knowledge base is great.

No NLE is perfect... but in my experience of three years on FCPX, I think the problems... no, I should say, the PITFALLS of working with FCPX are so numerous, that even though it's basic method of the magnetic timeline has benefits, it's the infrastructure and the exchange with others (like finalising in a different editing suite, audio mixing, exports for broadcast, creating AAF's) that still makes it rather clumsy in many respects.

But... here's hoping FCPX 10.3 takes a lot of the clumsiness away. Again: very happy with the audio lanes!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]