APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Interesting NLE speculation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Interesting NLE speculation
on Oct 26, 2016 at 6:47:57 pm

My drive by 2 cents.

The market is largely changing via expansion, not replacement. As much talk as their is about disruption via social videos, people in their mom's basement shooting with iPhones and cutting on iPads, etc., you can't ignore monetization (it's the entertainment *business* right?) and monetization is not happening with those types of videos. YouTube, for all it's traffic (well, actually in part because of all it's traffic) is a money pit for Google from what I've read.

Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Verizon, Yahoo, etc., are all fighting for 'premiere', original content because that's where the money is. You can sell premiere content to advertisers. You can sell subscriptions to premiere content to viewers. Netflix alone is spending billions on new, original content (their goal for 2016 was an additional 600hrs of new, original content). A friend of mine worked on The Runner for Verizon's Go90 (channel?) and they did a number of same day edits every day on the 30 day run of the show (IIRC what happened in the morning was cut together and streamed that night). When I talk to my friends that have worked on shows for Amazon, Hulu, Verizon, etc., they say it's basically the same as when they worked on shows for the CW or NBC. My experience in new media has been similar (I've been cutting in new media a lot since 2005 or 2006).

Once the project passes a certain scale and has a hard deadline because it has to go to air/stream, then the logistics of executing a show for YouTube start to look a lot like the logistics of executing a show for CBS or AMC.

Sure, if your main business was making basic "DIY" home repair videos then you are probably toast because those are a dime a dozen on YouTube. If your business was a specialized hardware vender (or integrator) you are probably toast as well (unless you can move up market) because off-the-shelf solutions keep getting better and cheaper. I don't think this is any different than any other 'revolution' in our industry where the lower the fruit hangs the more likely it is to disappear.

So what does this have to do with NLEs? Horses for courses matters today, it mattered 10 years ago and it will still matter 10 years from now.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]