APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Where's your footage coming from?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: Where's your footage coming from?
on Jul 25, 2016 at 1:34:46 am

[Tim Wilson] " I meant to write you and ask where the heck your reply is."

Somehow I just overlooked this post and it's 893 replies. Dunno why, just didn't see it... but glad I found it, very cool to read.

Last real film project... hmm oh gosh, memory fails me. I literally can't even remember what the project might have been. It was probably 5+ years ago now, maybe even more. Just no need for it anymore, which does make me a little sad. Film was fun.

I primarily shot 35mm with a Russian Konvas 1KCP-7M, Arri 535B, and Moviecam SuperAmerica. I used the same glass I still use today on those, except the Konvas on which I used Russian LOMO lenses. The LOMOs were unbelievably great lenses, and you used to be able to get them for a song. But then with the advent first of DoF converters and then big-sensor cameras, the demand for 35mm cine primes took off and the prices skyrocketed (and the once-plentiful availability dried up big time). On rare occasions I would shoot 16mm, with my Bolex 16 Pro (a very cool camera that almost no one, even veteran cinematographers, had ever seen... they only made 300 of them).

My primes are sort of a funky hybrid. They started life as Leitz medium format still camera lenses, and then someone somehow got them "Panavised" by a Panavision tech and they were rebarreled and remounted as proper cine lenses. I have 18mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 80mm, all at f/1.3. I sure wish I had a 28mm and maybe a 100mm or 120mm, but alas, I don't. They are very sharp and contrastly, slightly on the cool side... the pretty much look exactly like Cookes to me (although they are faster, and were a fair bit cheaper than a new set of $100K Cooke S4/I primes). I bought them off a Hollywood DP of some note quite a few years ago. Like everything else in our business equipment depreciates and starts falling like a rock the second you buy it. But semi-interestingly enough, high-end glass is the one exception to the rule... these lenses are probably worth a fair bit more today than when I bought them. Nothing else here is.

And yes, DoF converters were an amazing thing back in their day, they certainly changed the way we did things, for sure. Any use for them anymore? Well, as doorstops, but that's about it. When we bought the C300 we didn't have any use for ours any more, so I thought I'd sell it. Ours was (and still is) the Rolls Royce of converters, the P+S Technik Mini35. It was a bit disheartening to see them on eBay for a few hundred bucks (I paid $13,000 for it new). So... it's still on a shelf behind the studio cyc, gathering dust.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]