APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Where's your footage coming from?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread


Todd Terry
Re: Where's your footage coming from?
on Jul 23, 2016 at 8:37:20 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Jul 23, 2016 at 8:39:28 pm

I just saw this... wildly interesting to see what other people are doing/using.

We shoot probably 95% of all footage we use. The other 5% is stock that we purchase. Rarely if ever are we given footage by a client or other source.

I shoot almost exclusively with the Canon C300, PL mount version, with Leitz/Panavision superspeed primes. I have a vintage Russian Foton zoom for the times I need a zoom lens, but shoot almost exclusively with primes. We will probably trade up to the C300 Mark II, the camera we us now is the "original" C300. We have completely retired 35mm film shooting, although strangely enough there are still bunches of cans of filmstock in the fridge.

Probably 90-95% of our work is broadcast television commercials. The remaining small amount is corporate/industrial stuff.

About 95% of what we produce winds up on broadcast television. The rest winds up on the web.

We're an all-PC house, each suite editing with Premiere and the other toys in the Adobe suite, on PCs with Matrox guts (three machines are Matrox MX02, one older one is Matrox AXIO LE).

About half of our clients are advertising agencies, the other half are clients we work directly for.

With direct clients we virtually always do all of the creative on their projects, from concept to delivery. With the ad agencies it's about half and half.... for about half of them we do the creative, for the other half (one ones that either know television, or more likely think they know television) we are handed scripts and we go from there.

We're a tiny company, only three of us full time. I'm the company Creative Director and I direct all of our shoots. I also DP and am always my own camera op, so shoots are busy for me. My biz partner is the General Manager, doing all the bean counting and he also serves as producer on most of our projects. Either he or I will handle all the writing duties. We have an editor who handles the majority of our post jobs, but I will edit as well. We have an Art Director (coincidentally, my better half) who works as needed... she is hired when we need extra art direction, production design for bigger jobs, things like that.

I appreciate Tim for posing these questions, very interesting.

T2

__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com



Posts IndexRead Thread 


Current Message Thread:





© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]