APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Where's your footage coming from?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Where's your footage coming from?
on Jul 20, 2016 at 4:19:42 pm

Self-employed preditor/shooter for 20 years plus.

Today, I mostly produce, but I also shoot for long time clients and edit everything for internal and external stakeholders.

I hire crews (that typically include shooters, along with sound, light and grip) but it's rare that I'm on a production where I'm exclusively directing during the acquisition phase. I direct the interviews and set pieces - but for all the B-roll, I tend to let the crew do the primary coverage (mostly shooting Canon C-100/300 these days. Whatever format the crew is used to is usually fine with me and floats up and down the camera class, depending on the project budget.

So typically MXF field acquisition by the A crew. But It's rare I'm not also shooting B-cam on something weird - which might include a DSLR on a Steadicam or my iPhone 6 on a handheld gimbal - so format wise, that stuff could easily be h-264, h-265 or Mpeg 4. My goal is to expand the b-roll pool and try unusual shots that might not work out - while my A crew is getting the base coverage.

I mostly produce and shoot my own stuff, but have clients that send in everything.

I've had projects over the past year ranging from r3d to Alexa to GoPro Cineform.

It's my new normal.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]