APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3
on Apr 25, 2016 at 12:38:59 am

[Oliver Peters] "I should point out that the folks working on "Deadpool" were working on precisely that sort of thing. Complex timelines with effects and high-res media. They burned through 8-10 MPs. GPUs apparently melted. Meanwhile the "WTF" and "Hail Caesar" crews had no such issues....Airflow seems to be the culprit."

I think processing is the culprit. :-)

That is, when I wrote in my in my Whisky Tango Foxtrot article that WTF had 1200 VFX shots vs. "only" 1500 in Deadpool, I acknowledged that these were not at all similar. The shots in WTF, and I'm assuming Caesar, were mostly roto, paint, and the like.

Not a trivial amount of human work, especially at the scale of 1200 shots...but as far as processing, yeah, pretty trivial. Might barely have touched the GPU, if at all.

Whereas Deadpool was CG-heavy. The processing power was enormous, with GPUs maxed out for long stretches. Decidedly non-trivial. LOL

Pretty much every single person reading this knows better than I do, but my guess is that there aren't that many editing tasks that are dramatically sped up by GPUs, right?

But to Joe's point about speccing out max iron, a Mac Pro tops out a 128 gigs of RAM and 12 cores. An HP Z840 tops out at 44 cores and 1 TERABYTE of RAM. You can, uhm, do more stuff with that, but if your work isn't that hungry for processing power or doing math in its head, save your money -- because we are talking about a lot of money.

My point earlier was just that Apple used to want to be the machine that power-hungry artists went for -- at least rhetorically. I can't imagine that Apple had any illusions about the usefulness of a 1999 G4 for 3D heavy lifting, but it was at least part of the message. The message was, Macs were so powerful they were literally dangerous.

Now, not.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]