APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tom Sefton
Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3
on Apr 24, 2016 at 4:20:58 pm

Maybe you don't need that performance on FCPX but it is very much needed on Premiere and it's very available -- you just write a check, buy the workstation, and it works great.

But this is the reason for my enquiry. What performance. What is the difference? Does the $27k Dell machine allow you to playback 6k r3d files in realtime at full resolution whilst using colour effects and dissolves? How do you quantify performance if we don't have a baseline for what a top spec PC can do with 6 or 8K footage?

For instance - I can play 6K r3d footage in FCPX at a lower quality setting. I can edit smoothly, apply a transition and finalise a cut. I can even create and edit multicam sequences that playback smooth enough. I've got some projects that include 40hrs of 4k r3d footage which is easily manageable.

Footage is stored on a 48TB thunderbolt 2 RAID, and the mac pro is an 8 core with 64GB of RAM. This system with a monitor and the external storage costs around £15k - nMP, monitor and raid. So my rambling question is - if you can edit and playback 6K footage with a current new mac pro, what extra does more budget give you with a PC?

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]