APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3
on Apr 22, 2016 at 6:24:41 pm

[Marcus Moore] "So I think you'd have to call the whole 2010-2013 a single upgrade cycle. "

Agreed, and I meant to mention that in my previous post. So from 2006-2010 we had got five MP revisions (1,1 - 5,1) and then a doesn't-really-count speed bump in 2012. So the stretch from 2010 to 2013 was longer though I don't think releasing a new computer once every three years is viable and is gong to help Apple shake fears that the pro line is dead. ;)

I agree with you about the I/O, but even with the old MPs we never got USB 3 or eSATA from Apple even though they were available. It's like all the engineers got moved onto working on the nMP and the old MP just kinda coasted into EOL. Which, given the amount of people still using the old MP (and the cottage industry of keeping it a viable machine) is pretty interesting. If FCP 7 is the NLE that refuses to die then the old MP is the desktop that refuses to die.

[Marcus Moore] " I don't see how they could have released an updated MacPro anytime after that without 5K display support and not taken an ENORMOUS amount of flack for it. At least that's my theory."

Less flack than what they've received for doing nothing? I think CPU and GPU bumps, even w/o 5K support, would've gone over better than just doing zilch and charging the exact same price for a machine unveiled in June of 2013. Whatever the underlying reason(s) are for a machine this old still being Apples top of the line offering I think it looks like they painted themselves into a corner with the design of the nMP (sexy as it is).

What makes this even more disconcerting is that the rate of technological change is only going to keep getting faster so if Apple is already having issues figuring out when (how?) to upgrade the nMP is this indicative of an inherent problem with this line of computers?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]