APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3
on Apr 22, 2016 at 4:04:26 am

[Andrew Kimery] " I wish Apple would put a desktop GPU in the top of the line iMac but I understand why they don't (then it really would be way too close in performance to the top of the line nMP)."

Aside from further cannibalizing Mac Pro sales, it's not currently feasible to put a full-size GPU in the exiting iMac form factor. Even if the iMac was twice as thick it wouldn't be possible. A full-size GPU can pull 250 watts all by itself. My top-spec 2015 iMac 27 pulls about 155 watts under heavy load -- I've measured it.

Apple would have to put a hugely bigger power supply in, totally change the cooling, acoustics, make the case a lot bigger -- in short it would look more like a 2005 iMac G5: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Apple_iMac_G5_side_rear...

They would obviously not do that for all the iMacs so now we're talking about a new more expensive special iMac just for that fairly narrow usage case.

Interestingly MSI just introduced such an all-in-one PC, called the MSI Gaming 27XT. It is twice the weight of an iMac 27, consumes 2-3 times the power, is about four times as thick depending on how you measure it -- and looks like a monstrosity: http://media.bestofmicro.com/2/X/549609/gallery/Gaming-27XT_05_w_600.png

This year both AMD and nVidia will introduce GPUs using 14/16nm fabrication which will roughly double the performance per watt. This should allow the existing iMac design to have double the GPU performance and a Mac Pro refresh (if they do one) could be a lot faster on the GPU side. From a performance standpoint everyone may get what they want, sooner than we once thought and without adding a "FrankenMac" to the lineup.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]