APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3
on Apr 22, 2016 at 3:18:57 am

[Shane Ross] "I'm sure Apple will discontinue that line and push iMacs as their main "pro" computer (it already is superior to the current MacPro trash can)"

The middle and top nMP's will still beat the 5K iMac in GPU-centric situations, but for CPU I agree that it's a wash. I wish Apple would put a desktop GPU in the top of the line iMac but I understand why they don't (then it really would be way too close in performance to the top of the line nMP).

Save for my Mac Mini I've always bought towers and I just can't seem to pull the trigger on spending so much money (either on an iMac or a nMP) for a new machine that's pretty much locked from a performance perspective. I'm hanging on to an '09 MP and the only reason this thing is still viable is because I can upgrade the I/O (added USB 3 and eSATA), the GPU and, if I'm feeling like a weekend project, the CPUs with a kit from OWC.

If a nMP came out tomorrow with current I/O, GPUs, CPU, etc., I'd be really tempted but there's no way I'm spending top dollar for a computer that was released in 2013. If Apple licensed OS X to run on non-Apple hardware I'd get a Z workstation from HP tonight. Running both Mac and Windows machines is just another layer to my workflow that I don't want to add if I can avoid it. Ugh. #FirstWorldProblems

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]