APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott Thomas
Re: Apple and Thunderbolt 3
on Apr 21, 2016 at 11:07:43 pm

Blackmagic showed a new TB3 UltraStudio.

I saw a PCIe card (looked 4 lane) that had a USB 3.1 (C) connector and was told that it would work in a MacPro tower.

Now that wasn't confirmation that it would provide TB3, maybe just USB 3.1? They seemed to lead me to believe it was TB3, but I felt that in the too-good-to-be-true category. Besides, there are no Mac TB3 drivers yet. No Apple system has it yet; just laptops with USB C.

I did see a "prototype" TB3 to 2 adaptor. So you can step down to 2, but not go the other way.

One small TB3 RAID box I saw is designed so that if you plug it into a USB C port without Thunderbolt, it steps down to USB protocol and still works.

Also, TB3 to PCIe boxes.

Proof that it's here before next NAB? Maybe not, but I was hearing about TB3 last NAB, there are already PC motherboards with the standard... out now, and there was an entire pavilion showing working, if not production-ready hardware.

I think with the shared connector (USB C) we're probably going to see a faster uptake and better selection of devices. On the other hand, we'll probably not see much in the way of new TB2 devices in the future.

Finally: hopefully we'll see a new MacPro at the WWDC with Thunderbolt 3.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]