APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Warmels
Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.
on Mar 19, 2016 at 3:17:21 pm

The issues I mentioned ARE reproducible. I know a dozen editors who run into these issues.

And I'm not going to start up an ancient FCP7 project to show you how I used a trick in an NLE no one should be using anymore. That's just downright silly. And I never said that it was faster than FCPX, it could be done faster than it was in that clip. So FCPX wins. As it does on some other counts. Again, some of you think criticism is an attack on you as an editor. All I am saying is that not everything about FCPX is divine.

So, do I see value in the concept of collapsed clips? To be totally honest: I dunno. In FCPX it has value because if I work with several storylines (music, fx, voice over, graphics, secondary storylines etc etc) I prefer to see my timeline in one glance. So by using collapsed clips I can do that. And in fact, it's the only way, since I am very limited in determining the look of my timeline, when it comes to the sizes of the clips. (Yes, there are five presets, I know... that's what I call LIMITED).
It gets even more challenging when you add a dissolve or something to clips that are originally rather small, like titles: suddenly the clip in the timeline doubles in size!

So collapsed clips help to keep the timeline rather viewable. But... I find it rather tiresome to a) keep all of my timeline in view and b) open and close clips for very simple split edits. I could expand them all, but then I'd be scrolling up and down my timeline all the time. That doesn't help much. Plus, I'd like to keep the tracks together while making a split edit and not drag every individual track (sometimes 8) underneath a clip before or after that. It's just means more work.

And honestly, using CTRL-S or double click makes no difference at all. For one method you use one hand, for the other two... time wise it's just personal preference. You still have to open and close it. (at least, I like it closed to prevent the timeline from looking messy - my preference.)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]