APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Warmels
Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.
on Mar 19, 2016 at 1:47:35 pm

Hey Robin, thanks for the input. However... and I don't mean any disrespect. This happens to me a lot. People say: you're not using it right, show or tell me how and then I see video's like that or their advice and... that's EXACTLY how I am using it.

And I see all the little niceties, like the swapping around (never had much trouble with that in FCP7 or AVID, I just used a different, faster trick than in that clip your posted)... but I also experience the downside of it.

Like the audio display. When it comes to audio only tracks (like music) the waveform in the browser doesn't match the music or sound when you get to the end of the track (in the single clip browser video). Or... levels on clips vary greatly in the display hone you zoom in or out. I find the graphics nice looking, but often a little dodgy when changing views.

Like when you are in browser with a single clip, which is quite long, I switch to the thumbnail view and... where is it? It's not directly visible, it's somewhere below or up. So I end up looking for it by scrolling.

And I certainly don't hope having two NLE's installed causes problems. Because I cannot afford another $6000 machine from Apple just to run another NLE. The authorised reseller says it's fine. Plus... I work with a lot FCPX users that only have FCPX installed on the same MacPro's in an editing bay, having the exact same issues. So I doubt it.

I like FCPX best when I start on a new project. Then it's fast and snappy. After a few days, as the Library grows, new cuts are made, graphics get added it gets worse and worse.

I said this before: I like a lot of things about FCPX. I think some things are very fast and clever (like swapping, the keywords, the direct way to add a clip to a second storyline ), some things are kinda stupid (like the constant opening and closing of clips (CTRL-S) before you make do a split edit, how features that work nice and fast on the main storyline don't work on the others, the Inspector interface where you constantly have to swap from menu to menu to check out the specs).

But, I keep saying this: I am disappointed in its performance. Now, I gathered a lot of work arounds this week from a lot of great posters here. But... they are still work arounds. And for me, that's what makes FCPX disappointing, gives it an unfinished feel, it promises a lot but when it comes down to it, it often doesn't deliver. Especially when suddenly my skimmer stops working, or clips on the browser suddenly stop displaying while the project still show picture. Then I know it's time to restart FCPX again... or even the entire computer. And that several times a day.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]