APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.
on Mar 13, 2016 at 1:24:05 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Mar 13, 2016 at 1:30:29 pm

Oliver, this is partly why it's so dependent on the type of jobs one is doing. I actually use stringouts a LOT, but not for my own organization, but rather as a client communication tools. I work a good bit on videos that have teams of content experts weighing in on topics that I know little to nothing about. So after my Reject and Favorite passes to narrow content focus - I use stringouts, along with bold graphics assigning sound bite IDs to help the far flung teams communicate in prepro content discussions. X is an absolutely amazing tool for this. But I wouldn't necessarily expect a commercial editor like Tom to need to do this at all.
That's part of the magic of the database. It's insanely customizable to allow you to organize the way that works best for your individual needs. Or yes, not use it at all, I suppose. But I still kinda see it as the high tech equivalent (supercharged!) of Walter Murchs "wall of cards" organizational process - just with my actual footage - and bolted directly inside X in a form that goes with me everywhere. And so generally flexible and useful that while I might not use it a lot on every project, it's so useful I find few projects where it won't improve things - even if ALL I do is a Reject pass to trim the obvious junk out of my field footage so I don't waste time visually dealing with it going forward.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]