APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: What makes X fast? Tom Knows.
on Mar 13, 2016 at 7:03:57 am

Look, it makes total sense to me that an editor who's been using string out techniques his or her whole career will carry that into X.
And if you never warm to the incredible power of keywording so what? You get to decide how to use your tools, nobody else. That's a given.
Tom Carter uses Rejects and Favorites somewhat differently than I do. Why? Because his his organizational goals are different than mine. And both of ours are likely different than somebody doing a documentary.

There is no "right way" in this.

But that said, there IS a danger, in my opinion, of mistaking the fact that you haven't explored how a system in X (whether it's keywording or, for example, the asset auto-renaming module tucked away in the info tab) that MIGHT prove a superb solution for a better X workflow in specific situations - but won't - merely because somebody hasn't had the occasion or curiosity to actually examine what it's potential is.

Again, nobody's saying any editor has to use the tools a particular way. That's up to the editor. But I also know I've learned techniques in my second year as an X editor that I thought were no better than the way I did things in year one - only to discover that I was very wrong and there were actually better and faster ways to do things if I studied them.

Nobody's going to make you use X a way you don't want.

But there's a reason so many people talk about the power of keywording and keyword collections. it may totally not be something that resonates for you and that's fine.

But the organizational power is still there and well worth talking about. That's all.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]