APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Murch and NLEs from IBC

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

vashi nedomansky
Re: Murch and NLEs from IBC
on Oct 21, 2015 at 2:35:31 am

I think feature film editors working long days for over a year give a very realistic long term case study on how to best improve any NLE. The daily issues that pop up, no matter how minor, are compounded by the sheer fact that they must be addressed so many times in one day that you want to lose your shit.

3 years ago I was hired to work on Gone Girl. I trained and supervised editor Kirk Baxter and AE Tyler Nelson as they transitioned into Premiere Pro from FCP7. As a feature film editor myself, I've cut features on AVID, FCP7 and Premiere Pro and the process went very smoothly as the problems and limitations in FCP7 were the same I had gone through so many times. I had 3 weeks to share my experiences with Fincher's team but the mechanical editing transition was accomplished in the first 3 days. Their biggest questions were: how do I mark in, out, insert, overwrite, delete, ripple delete, trim. Those were the only core essentials they needed to physically edit and plow forward.

After over a year of editing, The latest version of Premiere Pro CC carries probably 70+ new features that were requested directly by Fincher's post team. They were not hypothetical features that a company thinks editors will want but rather critical and essential needs that must be addressed and refined to optimize a workflow. Anyone using PP has the demanding requests of those editors and the responsive reactions by Adobe to thank.

The tools are all so similar today that any platform will allow for functional editorial. The biggest difference in my view is making the changes that editors actually require and ask for. The smallest changes can bolster efficiency and productivity allowing more time for the creative process to flourish.

I feel Adobe is very selective to the projects they jump on board so they can hone in to fill the gaps to their existing functionality. Over the last 6 months I've worked on Deadpool in the same capacity. The 6 person edit team led by Julian Clarke (District 9, Oblivion) were all AVID based editors and never worked on Premiere Pro. I trained them all and optimized their workflow so that the transition was as painless as possible. Once I customized Julian's keyboard shortcuts and workspaces, he was editing naturally and smoothly in 3 days much like Baxter. I translated their AVID workflow into something that functioned the same inside another NLE but the editing mechanics remained the same.

I wasn't teaching editing. I was sharing my knowledge of what works for me and how to translate AVID to PP. I learned as much as I taught because I was asked how to reverse engineer their previous workflows and make it work in PP. I'm sure that the next versions of PP will incorporate their requests for features needed at the highest level so that technology is made invisible and the creative can be the main focus.

Sorry for rambling! Just wanted to chime in with my first hand thoughts and experiences. Bottom line...I think it's best when editors can give direct feedback and see it implemented in a reasonable time frame. Like during the project you are working on!

Vashi Nedomansky
Film Editor
vashivisuals.com
@vashikoo

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]