APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Resolve and Linux

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Resolve and Linux
on Oct 19, 2015 at 7:56:06 am

[Jeff Markgraf] "While I'm firmly in the Mac OS camp with no plans to change, I'm curious about your take on Linux vs Windows. The conventional wisdom holds that, as cranky as Windows can be for serious audio and video setups, Unix/Linux is a whole new level of hurt in terms of needing to be a real gear head to get it up and running.

Firstly I haven't found WIN 7 Pro 64bit to be cranky to setup. I try to limit how much different software (NO GAMES) I run on a particular machine and I don't use WIN OS on the internet so I avoid major pains by not running anti virus software. I use Linux Mint on my office laptop as the front end for any internet connection so software updates and downloads go via the Linux OS. All my computers network (about 7, being a mixture of WIN, Mac & Linux) and a couple of tablets & smart phones in the mix (Android) plus a few NAS units.

So my contact with Linux has been both Android and Ubuntu variants like Mint. Linux is not difficult to get to terms with. There is not a lot of install and operator differences between all major OS in my experience. Modern software vendors make installation easy. Linux used to scare people with command line setups and weird disk partitioning but largely that is a thing of the past and if you can install a Mac OS you can install and run many Linux distributions. Resolve requires CentOS and to be fair I have not installed it or configured it so it may be a tad less idiot proof.

So I wouldn't talk anyone out of running Resolve on Linux except for the reasons I outlined, that there is a lot more software that is WIN based so if you want a machine that runs Resolve, Adobe, Fusion, ProTools or Fairlight plus a few other handy tool box programs like Audacity or even Edius or Vegas, then forget Linux. These advantages can also trump Mac OS but to a lesser extent.

If running just Resolve then Linux has the advantage of being able to run networked rendering and a few other niceties.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]