APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.
on Aug 30, 2015 at 8:52:10 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Maybe it's X, maybe it's Avid, maybe it's Resolve, maybe it's Red Giant, maybe it's a Mac, maybe it's a PC. I've got a few different types of footwear in the closet and while my favorite is a pair of black boots I wouldn't wear them for a hike in the mountains or a leisurely stroll on the beach. There's nothing wrong with them, they just aren't the optimal choice for those situations.
"

But how can you even assess that if you have little to no experience with ALL of them?

What we see here mostly is software A editors questioning software B. B guys questioning A. And C questioning everyone.

But the thing is nobody is willing to believe anyone else.

And besides, you bing up "the optimum choice" I think too many editors chase that myth. The popular programs all work just fine. But they all come with a focus. A view, if you will, of what editing is now - and needs to be for the future.

Seems to me AVID is still (and will likely always be) focused on "industrial shop" editing.

Premiere Pro is trying partly to go there - and also be the traditionalist choice for individual editors. Change, but not TOO MUCH change. Keep faith with the traditional timeline cuz it's just too hard to give it up - and heck, it does everything any editor should ever need, after all. Commit your $600 a year and never look back.

X requires significant editor change. You have to be willing to start over and re-think your editing workflow. In exchange for that, you're given a range of efficient new tools that may make your editing more fluid and easier. That's MY experience. I understand it's totally debatable (witness this forum) but a bit hard to debate with people who don't actually use the software.

Resolve is a wildcard. A fabulous node-based color corrector upon which BlackMagic is rapidly grafting an editorial engine with some X capabilities and a non-scary timeline-based workflow. And its FREE-ish!!! Strong mojo for those fearless enough to bet that the EDITORIAL part of this great Color Correction Software will continue to grow and eventually take over and meet BOTH needs.
One Ring to rule them all. (well, if they eventually get the asset management and audio and titling and distribution stuff up to current standards as well.)

So how does the individual editor choose?

Nobody can tell you that.

But I think it's valuable hearing from those who use EACH.

Don't you?

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]