APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.
on Aug 18, 2015 at 5:09:26 pm
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Aug 18, 2015 at 5:13:06 pm

[Pete Hickerson] "A world without string is chaos."

Except I don't think that that's true at all, and I wonder if, in practice, you do either.

One of the most compelling parts of FCP back in the day, certainly virtually the ONLY one that mattered for its professional adoption, was the extent to which it's extensible through parties that have nothing to do with Apple. And in some cases Apple was actively undermining.

I think of SDI through Aurora, Cinewave, AJA, and Blackmagic. I think of HD over any I/O rather than FireWire. Today, it's GPU.

For 10 years before Macromedia developed Final Cut for both Mac and Windows, storage ruled. Apple's run at storage was only passingly successful, so they dropped it.

Which is why I think that the FCPX-Mac connection is overstated. As many others on the thread have pointed out, even the speed advantage that kicked us off simply vanishes when you assess tasks that different than the ones FCPX is optimized for.

Otherwise, we're moving right back to the closed model that FCP so compellingly blew up. To the extent that Steve tried to tie up these very strings, I think that Tim Cook has aggressively been working to cut at the same time FCPX takes advantage of them. Apple has never been more open to third parties in every part of their product strategy, including iOS. They want to run the table, which they can't do if they pursue stringing people up as their highest priority.

In any case, the number of us here who can live without Apple assigning meaningful resources to third parties approaches zero. The number of us who actually LIVE without them is LESS than zero.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]