APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.
on Aug 18, 2015 at 4:59:25 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " it's just that lots of people disregard it as poorly designed software - and those people are just as smart as you!

simples!"

You know, I think it may be simpler than that. They just don't LIKE it. I think there's room for that.

Spoiler alert: a simile that's not a car simile! I don't like eggs. I can tolerate them if you bury them under a pile of tortillas, guacamole, enchilada sauce, beans, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream -- but that particular pile of food is better without the eggs...and I understand eggs completely. I'm not afraid of them. I just don't LIKE them.

And before Sam I Am pipes up, yes, I've had them green with ham, but 60 years later, I get to say, "I just don't LIKE them."

Four years later here, I STILL don't think adequate shrift is given to "it looks neato for you, I acknowledge what you're saying, but it doesn't work for me."

Or, "There are no needs in my present NLE that X addresses, so I don't feel it's worth the effort to build that much new muscle memory. Yes, it's doable -- I obviously learned how to do it with THIS one, and the amount of change I've put myself through for 30 years is unimaginable to many of you -- but I don't feel the need THIS time."

Or, "I just don't like it."

While this is by no means the case for every one of its proponents, I distressingly often still catch a whiff of disapproval for any of these very legitimate reasons.

One of the ways I see this is in the implication that people are being "held back" for psychological reasons as well as cognitive ones -- or more often, to the EXCLUSION of rational reasons. You know what? It can often be the case. I don't think most of us have begun to reckon with the fact that what seems like our most discretionary choices -- career, where we live, our life partners -- could possibly among the ones most driven by pre-rational forces.

It's no big deal, though. Not even worth pursuing. The fact that they ARE driven by unexamined internal dynamics is why most of the time, most of these choices work for most of us.

But it grinds any reasonable discussion to a halt to fail to acknowledge that there are equally compelling psychological reasons for adopting X that have little to do with rational ones. Which is also okay. If it works for you, who cares why?

It only matters to the extent that those forces are invoked in discussions like these, and the belief that only the OTHER guy is subject to them. The internal components that latch on to innovation as a higher good are every bit as real as the drive to attain the deepest possible expertise.

To put it another way, the two deepest human impulses are migration and settlement -- including migration TO a place to settle. Our species would long ago fallen into ecological irrelevance without both of those impulses constantly in full effect.

(Not that global ecosystems mightn't have been just as happy had we failed at the task of maintaining relevance.)

So there's my semi-annual rant on the topic out of the way for another six months, but I think it's ultimately one of the most interesting angles on this that has yet to be discussed. What are the pre-rational dynamics that have driven me to X, just as surely as there are some that drive others away.

And to Aindreas' point, the fact is that much of the time, it's simpler than that. But if we're going to talk about it, let's talk about it. If not, let's not.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]