APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.
on Aug 17, 2015 at 5:03:35 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 17, 2015 at 5:09:06 pm

I completely understand the comments in the above two responses - once again they are perfectly reasonable reactions of people who are judging X processes against a knowledge base of "this is how I've always edited - so where are all the tools I'm used to?"

That is completely fair and completely understandable.

But it's not entirely relevant to judging X, IMO.

The way you previously ran your daily editing operations are usually NOT the way you run them in X in very fundamental and significant operational ways. When you truly get used to the X system, many of the things you depended on for editing daily simply become NOT as important as they used to be. Not ALWAYS. Not for EVERYTHING. And it's certainly possible to miss things that you used to have. I get that.

And I certainly understand those who face poor performance or slowdowns. I've run into that too over my X experience with my last system having problems with things from bogging down in heavy motion constructions to crashing out of a lot of the new 3D text stuff. But new hardware made that stuff disappear. It returned large amounts of fluidity to the most challenging parts of my editing operations. So I'm not sure I'll lay that on X itself since that stuff disappeared with a hardware upgrade. (X loves new hardware - surprise, surprise)

But what I found is that for everything that I initially missed about saying goodbye to track based editing, I suddenly had half a dozen new things that became much more important to my work - particularly in organization, efficiency and speed of getting from Import to invoice.

Given that critical part of what the software does for me. I can happily put up with imperfections until they are addressed. (or even live without them if necessary!)

The key is that I didn't FOCUS on the imperfections when I was learning X. I focused on the growing awareness that the tool was letting me get way more accomplished - way faster - and with an affordable, excellent quality system - that freed me up to approach my entire practice differently.

That may not matter to someone who wants to keep a seat in an editing facility. And I get that. (Tho I do wonder if it will matter to the bean counters above him or her in the long run!) But it DOES make a whole lot of difference in someone who has to compete with a world increasingly awash in "video editors."

To riff on Walters value triangle post: I don't aspire to be cheaper. So I had damn well better be as good and fast as I possibly can. And X helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]