APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Why do users say FCP X is fast? Some new numbers.
on Aug 14, 2015 at 4:02:56 pm
Last Edited By Walter Soyka on Aug 14, 2015 at 4:06:04 pm

[Bill Davis] "A LOT of the new speed is clearly due to X being optimized for the new R9 GPU in the new Retina MacBook Pro, but I honestly didn't expect THIS much of a boost. It bodes well for what all computer manufacturers can accomplish when they truly optimize tasks like intensive video editing processes to the latest advances in hardware as those appear."

See also this thread, started by the original tester:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/82723

I think it's important to note that as designed, the primary factor in this test is actually H.264 compression, not the rendering pipeline. I'd bet Apple is using Intel Quick Sync [link] to accelerate H.264 compression, and I'd bet Adobe is not.

Quick Sync is a hardware feature of recent Intel Core consumer-class processors, but not on of Xeon workstation/server processors. Look at the original data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j8fTm7y6AbkDipHhFBKknTqQ45q7RxKmV4w...

Note in the test data how a MBP running FCPX shames a nMP running FCPX by a factor of almost 6x! On the nMP, where Quick Sync is not a variable and the test is a slightly purer pipeline comparison, Pr actually outperforms FCPX by about 20%!

I'm not saying that knowing the speed of H.264 compression isn't important or that Apple's use of Quick Sync is not relevant; it is. But I do think this test as currently designed does not support your hypothesis that the results are driven by the new GPU.

I would, however, agree with your conclusion (assuming you're talking about software developers moreso than computer manufacturers, as there is only one company in our industry where that Venn diagram would overlap).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]