APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Resolve XII...

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Resolve XII...
on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:34:29 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Anyway, I think that Smoke on Mac offered exactly the environment you're talking about, but I only know what I saw in demos. I'll defer to astrophysicist, editor, and motion graphics researcher Professor Soyka to tell it like it is."

[Shawn Miller] "Smoke was on my list for a while as well, but it never seemed to keep my attention long enough to consider picking up, so I would also be curious to hear Professor Soyka's thoughts on the matter. :-) "

Tim, I'm not sure anyone would care to read it, but if you opened a Smoke or Not forum, I could fill it arguing with myself. My relationship status with Smoke would be "complicated."

I've been in and out of it for a few years. I'm currently on the upswing, catching up on what's new in 2016. Here's the short version (ha) of my thoughts:

Smoke can be rightfully accused of being "jack of all trades, master of none," but it also fills out the second, lesser-used half of the expression: "often better than master of one."

One the one hand, it's a fantastic tool. I love compositing in editorial context. Once you get used to it, there's a lot to like in the workflow and interface. I like (most of) the Action 3D compositor.

On the other hand, it's a frustrating tool. I think that Smoke's heritage makes it a lot less accessible than FCPX/Pr. Even after you get used to it, there's a lot to dislike in the workflow and interface. The pool of freelancers is small. There are some important tools that are still very old-school, and the bulk of the design tools that I'd really like to have are missing from Smoke and reserved for Flame.

Smoke is too light on the animation side to be the tool Shawn describes. Ae, even without realtime performance or an NLE-style timeline, is closer.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]