APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Resolve XII...

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Resolve XII...
on Jul 29, 2015 at 2:00:48 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "granted you're a mad scientist Walter - but try pitching the total craft collapse of a century worth of editing, colour timing, and optical compositing into a single frankenstein node based application with a vaguely reliable editor released on a freemium model."

I've written at some length here about how BMD's business model makes me nervous: I'm sure it's good for BMD, and it may be good for users in the short term, but it's hard to compete with free and I think it's salting the fields of future development across our industry. So many people here are excited about have a great free (as in beer) option, but maybe without thinking about what that free product costs.

As for craft collapse, that's not quite how I see it. Look at color correction: there's plenty of light roto and keying, and the best tools for that are in compositing applications. Look at compositing: getting plates to match requires color adjustments, and the best tools for that are in grading applications. Look at editing: some shots just won't work without a little VFX love [link]. And everyone needs at least basic editorial capability.

Do you really see walled-off separate crafts? Look at your own sig: "promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics."

There are plenty of talented folks like yourself whose work spans traditional disciplines. Our tools have not kept up with this evolution.

Flame is 23 years old, and the idea is still ahead of its time.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]