APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: could we please just take a moment here.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: could we please just take a moment here.
on May 6, 2015 at 6:18:10 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "i mean you've got to commemorate him requesting that feature. that's crazy."

I agree! I appreciate you pulling this out into another thread, Aindreas. It's among tne of the most important historical stories ever told in the COW, and among the most pivotal tales ever told anywhere. I've always encouraged (and practiced) veering off-topic if the conversation dictates it, but this really does demand standalone commemoration.

Adding markers with the spacebar on the fly is one of the most fundamental steps in the evolution of the NLE, maybe the VERY FIRST step in transitioning to an actual NEW MODEL of editing that was only possible with computers.

That is, there wasn't anything especially new about NLEs. Really, other than undo, there wasn't all that much that was all that computer-y. Once you added in the time to digitize, log, and all the rest, there wasn't even a savings in time for many years to come.

Even complicated things that took NLEs years of iterations to achieve had been common in film for generations. Desi Arnaz even invented the first multicam editing set-ups in the 50s. What was actually new?

Here's what was new. Using the spacebar to support editing while the playback head was in motion. Enabling creativity as fast as a reflex. Nothing like that had ever, ever, ever happened before.

So forget about paradigms and tracks and all that other nonsense. This was the first time that an EDITOR could EDIT with capabalities previously impossible.

This is a big fgjking deal. Way to go, David!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]