APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Mike Matzdorf beats traditional audio tracks to death with an iron pipe.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Mike Matzdorf beats traditional audio tracks to death with an iron pipe.
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:16:36 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "To riff on this, and I'm not doubting anyone that uses X and credits it with getting them home from work sooner, but I was at the TED presentation at FCPWorks..."

I was specifically thinking about that when I made the comment. I watched it last night and if you watch at about 35 min. in, you see a very elaborate revamp of how media was ingested using a custom capture/consolidate process created by their IT guys. In fact, the presenter pointed out that the way they had wanted to use XML (in a fashion as they had used with FCP 7) didn't actually work the way they'd hoped with X. My feeling at the end, was that all of the editors weren't completely sold on the success of X itself, other than the presenter.

The second part, was that they never actually used a true multi cam workflow with FCP 7, preferring instead to use track-based timeline sync maps. Part of the reason was that the recording devices they had used at the time (BMD Hyperdecks) recorded 16-channels of audio times 12 cameras. Obviously a PITA with 7. When they switched to X they also completely changed the ingest process, which also streamlined the track count. With X, they used the multi cam mode.

So honestly, it seemed to me that the improvements were more a complete change in workflow, rather than the change in one specific tool. Sometimes you really have to go past the story headlines to digest the content ;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]