APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX Debates Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP Tutorials

Re: 5K Retina iMac VS 6 Core New Mac Pro ~ 4K Video Editing Comparison - Final Cut / Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Max Yuryev
Re: 5K Retina iMac VS 6 Core New Mac Pro ~ 4K Video Editing Comparison - Final Cut / Premiere Pro
on Mar 29, 2015 at 5:56:03 am

Hey Guys, Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread but I just found this and wanted to chime in. My Mac Pro (now sold) was a 6 core with D700 graphics, 256GB PCI-SSD, 16GB ram. When ordering it I knew that the extra GPU power would help so I opted to spend the extra $ and wait time.

This testing really opened my eyes and made me more curious as the iMac seems to be very quick at rendering. I just build a hackintosh using the same CPU as in the iMac (with much better cooling of course) as well as a fairly quick SSD (not a bottleneck) 16GB RAM, and GTX 970 GPU. The 970 GPU should be much more powerful than the M295X (just like the D700's are) but my results were very similar to the Mac Pro times. I also tested this same build with the 750Ti, 960, and 980 and the render times are almost identical as the 970.

This is because the GPU's are almost never fully utilized. I also have a R9 285 and 290X to test but unfortunately I can't get them to boot. I REALLY wish AMD would provide OSX drivers like Nvidia does. The 290X is the most powerful single GPU AMD makes, and the R9 285 is the second newest card after the M295X and the M295X may be based off of the architecture so I was really hoping to try it and see if the results are similar.

It really seems that FCX is taking full advantage of the M295X and is using it much more efficiently that other cards, even though those are more powerful. After doing all this testing there is really no other explanation, as I'm using the same CPU now with Quicksync. It would be amazing to see a M295X or a slightly slower version of it in a new Macbook Pro 15" (or 17").

Attached is some info on how the Hackintosh with similar specs but more powerful GPU compares.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]