APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: swapping two shots

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: swapping two shots
on Mar 9, 2015 at 2:45:27 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I unfortunately have no idea how you figure that there is any type of "answer" in there. Certainly not to the questions who supposedly made the claim"

You make the claim Robin. You make it when you state that there is nothing lost when going to a trackless timeline - if nothing is lost then by definition tracked timelines can have no advantages over trackless. Since that is your position, and I have no doubt that it is your sincerely held belief, I don't see why you have such a hard time acknowledging it.

As to the "long list" of what's missing in X, I was referring to visual coherence. The lack of these visual clues is why some of the biggest X proponents on this board have asked for such things as "colored roles indicators" so you could see at a glance the nature of the audio clips on the timeline, or "lanes" whereby certain types of audio could always be found in certain areas of the timeline. These are repeated requests by editors using FCPX all the time. The lack of these features are certainly not enough to cause them to switch NLEs, but the request for them shows the trade-off required by switching to X, namely the speed and flexibility of moving clips around the magnetic timeline for the innate visual coherence of a tracked timeline.

And you should note that I'm not making a value judgement here, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm merely stating what to me is obvious, that they are different approaches, each with their own advantages, and the decision of which to use should be based on the individual editors workflow and preferences.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]