APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: best cheap method of digitising VHS tapes into FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

olof ekbergh
Re: best cheap method of digitising VHS tapes into FCPX
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:27:35 pm

I have used a Matrox MX02, an old AJA M100 board set and BM Ultrastudio. They all work quit well.

Just be aware that often old tapes in VHS machines drift so sometimes it takes a few tries to get everything working smoothly.

It is a good idea to FF all the way and the rewind before trying to play tapes that have sat so a long time. And always store tapes upright like a Book rewound all the way. If lying on their side for years the tape actually sags and can cause problems in playback.

On really bad tapes/decks it is a good idea to run through a live mixer with TBC (time base correction) this can help if you get jittery video when playing back. Some of us still have this ancient equipment around I still have, VHS, S-VHS, Hi8, miniDV, Umatic, DAT, DA88 and Betacam decks. Make me an offer... I still have an 8 track somewhere as well.

Actually I still use them sometimes. A lot of times I have to open them up to physically help the rubber bands to turn togged them to run. I love solid state... Head cleaning and alignments of heads used to be thousands
of $$ every year.

Olof Ekbergh

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]