APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Evidently, some of this is quantified.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Pettit
Re: Evidently, some of this is quantified.
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:50:50 am

[Dennis Radeke] "You're one of the few guys that still bangs on this drum quite a bit."

Hi Dennis. I'm not sure that's the case. For every person who is "banging drums" (I'm a confessed drum banger) there are many more that are simply voting with their purchases. As an example: a couple of quotes from the recent CNET (albeit unscientific) survey (posted Dec 9):

"In the unscientific survey, to which 284 people responded, 95 percent of Creative Suite customers said they don't plan to move to the Creative Cloud, indicating that a sizeable population is still eager to take Adobe to task for its shifting business."

Their major objections were as follows: 72 percent said it was too expensive; 56 percent said the current Creative Suite products were good enough; and 28 percent said they plan to switch to products from Adobe competitors.

Adobe's financial fortunes hinge on converting CS customers to CC subscriptions; with no more CS upgrades, they're no longer paying. "Creative Cloud is around 3 million [customers], or 23 percent of Adobe's 12.8 million active base," said RBC Capital Markets analyst Ross MacMillan.

I and many more like me are no longer paying Adobe any money whatsoever. As a result, it seems like its more than just activism, its marketplace.

[Dennis Radeke] "Subscription is a mutual agreement. You are not compelled to subscribe"

Certainly true technically, but it really is more complicated than that, particularly for those of us who are smaller entities working for (and with) much larger ones. With proprietary formats being leveraged by Adobe, we are often forced to contend with format and compatibility issues that are key to our livelihood. As a result, many loyal Adobe customers don't consider Adobe's shift to mandatory subscriptions to be all that mutual. The option to simply stop using Adobe software if we don't like it is often simply untenable. That's why you have an enormous base of users willing to simply sit on CS6, refusing to migrate to subscriptions, until competitors (wishful thinking perhaps) establish alternatives.

This is simply much more complicated than banging drums.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]